Using the features found on the Email tab, you can send an e-mail blast to all or some of the Athletes in your event quickly and easily. Before you can set up and schedule an e-mail campaign, you'll need to add a Sender e-mail and confirm the e-mail address with our e-mail provider, SendGrid. If you've already added a Sender e-mail for your Organization, click HERE to skip to the instructions for creating a Campaign.
Adding a Sender
Due to recent changes that SendGrid has implemented, the sender/reply-to address you use for e-mail campaigns must be verified before an e-mail blast can be sent. The process below will show you how to add and verify a Sender e-mail address.
Before you complete the process below, please verify that the Organizer E-mail for the event is correct. You can do this from the Event tab in Event Properties under Organizer.
- Navigate to the E-mail tab, click the Senders tab, then click the + Add Sender button in the upper right corner of the tab.
- In the window that appears, enter the e-mail address you'd like to use as the From/Reply-to address for the campaign. This can be the e-mail address for your Org or a different e-mail address. Click Save once you've entered the address.
- The page will refresh and you will see your new sender E-mail listed on the Senders tab. You should also immediately receive an e-mail from SendGrid at the e-mail address you entered. Before you open the e-mail, click on the blue Verify Sender button in the Actions section.
- In the window that appears you will see the login Username and Password that has been generated for your Organization in SendGrid. Note that even though I entered "firstname.lastname@example.org" as the Sender e-mail, the username is "email@example.com". This is because SendGrid creates the account based on your Organizer E-mail address, not the Sender e-mail. Any Sender e-mails you add in one event will be available in any other event under that Organizer.
- Now, copy the Password and then open the e-mail account for the Sender e-mail you entered.
- The SendGrid e-mail will appear similar to the one below. If you don't see the e-mail in your inbox, check your junk/spam folder. Once you've located the SendGrid e-mail, click the blue Verify Sender Identity button.
- You will be directed to the SendGrid login page. Enter your Org e-mail, not the sender e-mail as the Username, paste in the password you copied in step 5, then click Login.
- Once you're logged in, you should* (see note below) see a green success message at the top of the screen. If you return to the ChronoTrack Live event and refresh the page, you will see that the Verification field now says "Verified". This is all you need to do in SendGrid.
If you do not see the green success message pictured below, go back to the e-mail and click the Verify Sender Identity button again.
You can now create a new E-mail Campaign using your new Sender e-mail.
As noted above, the Sender e-mail will be available and Verified for use in any event associated to the Organization e-mail under which you created the Sender. You may add as many Senders as you like under a single Organizer, but each additional Sender e-mail will need to be verified. The credentials for Verification will be the same as before unless you are adding a Sender under a different Organization.
You can always click the SendGrid Credentials button on the Senders tab to see your username and password.
We do not recommend that you change the SendGrid password generated for you automatically. Instead, just follow the procedure above for each additional Sender you enter for your Organization.
Add a List
- Navigate to the E-mail tab and then click + New Campaign button in the upper right corner for the tab.
- If you'd like to specify a language for the e-mail, you may do so from the Language dropdown.
- To determine who the e-mail will be sent to, click the Create List button in the To field.|
- In the window that appears, enter a List Title title. This is for your own benefit to differentiate between multiple Campaigns.
- Select a value in the Select Recipients from field. Options are Race, Registration Choice, Bracket, Wave, or Import. Import allows you to upload a separate CSV file of athletes or non-participants.
If you import a recipient file, you can include only e-mail and name, but using only email is fine. If you only import e-mail addresses, you will not be able to use placeholders for Name or Coupon Code.
- You can choose to Sort Recipients based on any of the Races within the Event.
- If you like, specify a Date Range that will exclude entries that registered/were added before or after the specified dates. Check All Available to send to all recipients regardless of date.
- The next step will confirm the number of recipients, the date range from which they will be gathered, and how they will be sorted.
- Click Complete & Save to finalize the list.
You can remove or review a list at any time.
Now fill out the rest of the details of the e-mail.
- From: The email address the athletes will see the e-mail as coming from. If you have only one verified Sender e-mail, this will be populated by default. Otherwise, click the dropdown to select the desired Sender address.
- Subject: The subject line of your e-mail
- Send at: The date and time you would like this email to be sent.
- Template Builder: Enter the body text for the e-mail blast here. There are a few simple text tools available such as ordered and unordered lists and bold/italic/underline options. You can change the header and icon images by clicking on them and selecting a new image from your PC. Images should be 600 x 100 pixels and 90 x 90 pixels for the banner and icon respectively.
- You can use the [%first_name%] placeholder to personalize the e-mails by pulling in the first name field for each entry in your E-mail List.
Please note that the Name and Coupon Code placeholder format has changed. Name is now [%first_name%], and Coupon Code is now [%coupon_code%]
- If you need to attach any additional files to your email, it's best to save that file as a PDF and host it online in Dropbox or Google Drive as a publicly shared file. You can then simply insert the share link into the body of the email.
- Once all information is entered, click Save & Schedule.
If any red errors appear after completion, make sure to correct, and click Save & Schedule again.
- A confirmation will be displayed upon completing successfully:
Unsubscribing from E-mails
E-mail recipients may unsubscribe from any e-mails sent from SendGrid verified e-mail addresses.
Unsubscribing works on a per-sender basis. If a user chooses to unsubscribe from an email campaign, it will unsubscribe them from all emails under your org associated with that Sender. Therefore we recommend keeping your Senders relevant to the nature of your email campaign. For example, use a different sender for campaigns that are providing important race information to registered athletes for your event vs. encouraging new athletes to register for an upcoming event.
Users can unsubscribe from the emails in the footer at the bottom of the e-mails they receive.