How it Works
All Google Tag Manager articles on our Knowledge Base start with the baseline assumption that you are familiar with GTM, its capabilities, and how it operates. If you are brand new to GTM, we suggest you check out their Documentation and study up on what it is and how to use it.
Our integration of Google Tag Manager (GTM) allows users to add minor pieces of functionality to their registration pages without having access to the code (or without having to request it from one of our developers). The main functionality that can be added is analytics measurement.
It can't be used to create new pages on the Reg Form, but it can react to how Athletes are using the registration form by posting analytics back to Google Analytics or your own preferred analytics software.
Tags and Triggers
GTM has two basic elements:
A Tag is some action that you want the page to take. Posting data back to your Google Analytics account, for example.
A Trigger is what causes the Tag's action. Anytime someone lands on a specific page or anytime someone clicks a specific button, etc.
Most of our GTM documentation assumes you will be using Google Analytics as your preferred analytics software.
If you haven't already created a Google Analytics and Google Tag Manager account, create free accounts using the links below.
Adding the Key
- On the dashboard of your Tag Manager account, you will see your key next to your profile name.
- Select and copy the key.
- Navigate to your Event in ChronoTrack Live and click Event Properties on the Event tab.
- Click the dropdown and select Organizer
- Scroll to the bottom of the Organizer window and paste the Key into the Org Google Tag Manager Key field.
- Click Save & Continue and then click the X at the top of the Event Properties window to exit.
Your Google Tag Manager key will now be applied to all of the Events within your Organization.