This guide will walk you through the process of configuring your Zoom 4506 router to supply internet to a MiniTrack or Pro Controller with a USB cellular modem.
The Zoom comes with a removable, rechargeable lithium-ion battery. This means that you don't have to power it from a Controller or supply it with power during a race. The battery is advertised to last 3-4 hours on a full charge.
You will need to reference the Router Password Cheat Sheet found in the Downloads section of the Timer Portal under Networking Accessories. Please download it and have it ready.
Configure the Router
- Supply power to the Router
- Use an Ethernet cable to connect your Router to the Ethernet Port on your PC.
- Download the configuration file in the Downloads section at the end of this article.
- Open a web browser, enter 192.168.1.1 in the address bar, then press Enter.
- In the admin interface, enter the default System Password at the top of the page, and click Login. The default password is admin
- Select Advanced Setup in the next screen, and click Enter.
- Next, select the Toolbox tab.
- Then on the left side of the screen, click Firmware Upgrade/Restore.
- Select Choose File and select the config file you downloaded earlier.
- Click the Upgrade button. You will see a count-down for about a minute as the router reboots. Once the reboot procedure is done, the router is ready to use.
To test configuration, insert a USB modem into the router, plug the router into a MiniTrack using the USB cable, and then connect the router to the controller with the Ethernet cable. Wait for both the router’s and the modem’s boot sequences to complete. This can take a couple minutes depending on the modem you are using.
Finally, attempt to establish a connection on your controller, first ensuring that the Server address is set to 220.127.116.11.
The configuration page/address of the router is now 172.20.23.1. The Admin password can be found on the Router Password Cheat Sheet. The new SSID and WiFi password are also located on the Cheat Sheet.