All Google Tag Manager articles on our Kowledge Base start with the baseline assumption that you are familiar with GTM, its capabilities, and how it operates. If you are brand new to GTM, we suggest you check out their Documentation and study up on what it is and how to use it.
- Log into your Google Tag Manager account.
- Click Create New Tag.
- Select Google Analytics as the Product type (or use your preferred analytics software)
- Select Universal Analytics
Configure the Tag
- Enter your Google Analytics Key (found under Admin > Tracking Info > Tracking)
- Select Event as the Track Type.
- The Category and Action fields are required. The Category should be a type of event that happens often. For example: Email Campaign
- The Action should be VERY specific. For Example: 'Return to Registration from Campaign DiscountCode33'
- Click Continue.
Next you should set Triggers. You can use more than one trigger per tag.
The example below shows a Trigger that will track traffic from an e-mail campaign. The Tag will post to Google Analytics every time there is a page view where the URL ends with “ utm_campaign=retention&utm_medium=email&utm_source=auto-‐claim”
To see how to view your tracked Events, click HERE