This guide will show the necessary steps for using a mobile Router to connect a MiniTrack controller to the ChronoTrack CCS Server. This process generally includes a mobile Router and a USB modem from a cellular carrier. Please note that mobile routers need to be configured to work with a ChronoTrack controller. There are a variety of router brands and models that we have tested and provided Configuration files for HERE.
This guide assumes that your Router device has been configured for use with a ChronoTrack controller using the guidelines we provide for various router models. If you have not configured your Router using these settings, please do so prior to following this guide. If there is not a Configuration File for your Router model on the Timer Portal, please contact ChronoTrack Support for details on configuration.
The example images below show the CradlePoint CTR-35 router, which is no longer produced. We currently recommend the TP-Link MR3020 or the Pepwave SUS-AGN1 for this purpose. The Netgear Nighthawk MR1100 is a great all-in-one solution as well.
Setting Up the Router
- Plug the router into a power source. Usually, the Controller can provide enough power to the device through one of the Controller's built-in USB ports. For larger Routers, you may need a 'Y-cable' (included with some routers) or a 5v-12v conversion cable, available for purchase from ChronoTrack (for CradlePoint models only).
- Use an Ethernet cable to connect your Router to either of the Ethernet ports on your Controller.
- Insert your compatible Cellular USB modem into the USB slot on the Router.
- Turn on the Controller, and wait for it to load.
- Ensure that the Router is receiving power. Normally, the Router must complete its boot-up sequence, and then the USB Modem will also need to complete a boot-up sequence. Be patient as the components boot up.
Establishing the Connection (Firmware version 126.96.36.199+)
- Press Menu >2 > 1 > 2 to access the Server Address sub menu item, and ensure that the address is set to 188.8.131.52
With the introduction of MiniTrack Firmware 184.108.40.206, you can now set two different server profiles - one on Menu 2 > 1 > 2, and the other on Menu 2 > 2 > 2. This means that you can configure one profile for the CCS server, and one for a local connection.
- Press the Exit Key and the UP Key to bring you to the Connect
- Press the Enter key to connect to the ChronoTrack Server. The green Connected LED above the controller’s display should turn solid green within a few seconds in the router has a stable internet connection.
If you are experiencing difficulty obtaining a connection, you may be able to resolve your problems by checking the following:
- Determine that power is supplied to the Router (the power light should be illuminated).
- Determine that the network cable is properly connected to the Controller and the Router (the ETH 1/ETH 2 link light on the Controller's ethernet port and the WAN/LAN light on the Router should be illuminated).
a. If the light is off, attempt to connect using a different cable.
b. If a second Ethernet cable does not resolve the issue, the LAN port on the Router may be bad.
- Determine that your Cellular USB Modem is connected and compatible (the USB light on the CradlePoint will be illuminated). If it is not:
a. Your USB modem may not be compatible. Visit Router manufacturer's website to check the compatibility of your modem model.
b. If your modem is compatible, attempt to re-seat the device into the Router by unplugging the modem and then plugging it back in.
If that does not resolve the issue, the USB port on the Router may be bad.
- If you are still experiencing connection issues, feel free to contact ChronoTrack Support.