Waves allow you to apply different Gun Times to different groups of athletes in your event within the same Race. The most common usage for Waves is for "corrals" where athletes who signed up either selected or were assigned to a specific start time block. Some other situations where you might use waves may actually be better executed as separate Races instead of Waves, depending on how scoring should take place. If you have questions about whether your event should use Waves or separate Races, please feel free to contact us.
The Waves tab is very similar to the Brackets Tab and allows you to set up Waves, create Wave Rules to map Athletes to Waves, and assign Wave Starts for Scoring. By default, there is always a Universal Wave.
Please be aware there may be issues with special characters included in the field header or field values
- Click the + Add Waves This will open the Add Waves window.
- Select the Date the Wave will start. You can enter numbers in MM/DD/YYY format or click the Calendar button to select the date.
- Specify the Number of waves.
- Specify an Average Time Between Waves.
- Click Continue.
- Apply a Wave Name to each of the Waves to be created. You can also edit the Start Time of each wave if time between waves is non-uniform.
- Click Complete & Save.
The page will auto-refresh, and the new Waves will appear.
Now that you’ve created Waves, you can now create Wave Rules to map Athletes to the Waves.
Create Wave Rules
- Click + Add Wave Rule. This will open the Create Wave Rule window.
- If using Custom Questions to map athletes to Waves, select the Question and Answer to be used.
- If using Gender criteria to map Athletes, specify a Gender.
- If using Age criteria to map Athletes, specify a Min and Max age.
- Select the Wave you would like this Rule to map Athletes to.
- Click Complete & Save.
The page will auto-refresh, and the Rule will appear in the Wave Rules section. You should see Athletes in Wave as well.
You can Edit a Wave Rule at any time. You can also Remove a Wave Rule. To do so, just click the Remove button next to the Wave you would like to delete and click Remove on the confirmation window that appears. The page will auto-refresh, and the Wave Rule will no longer appear in the Wave Rules section.
After making any change to a Wave Rule, the rule should automatically be re-applied to all athletes within the race, and any Athletes not mapped to Waves with the correct criteria should now appear in the correct Wave.. If this does not happen, you can click Reapply Rules.