Timing Devices are the "containers" for any Tag Data that is to be associated with each Timing Point. Data from multiple controllers may be sent to a single Timing Device. Any Tag Data streamed to your Event through the CT Live Server is associated with the Timing Device to which it is sent. Deleting a Timing Device will also delete any Tag Reads associated with that Device.
You MUST add a Timing Device to any Timing Points to be used for chip scoring. The only exception to this is the Start Point. If you want to score your Race based on Gun Time, you do not need to add a device to the Start. If using Chip Time, you must put a Device on the Start Point.
Add a Timing Device
- On the Scoring > Course tab, click + Timing Device. This will open the Create Timing Device window.
- Assign a Name to the Device up to 16 letters or numbers. Spaces and punctuation marks are not permitted.
- Next, select Type. This defines the method with which data to be streamed to this Device will be collected. Options include ChronoTrack, Virtual, or Keypad.
ChronoTrack signifies standard data collection by way of antennas connected to a Controller.
Virtual is useful for setting up a Virtual Point.
Keypad means that data streamed to the Device will be collected by keyed entry via a USB keypad or keyboard connected to the Controller.
- Select the Timing Point the Device will be associated with. You may assign a Device to multiple Timing Points, but you must Configure Your Course for Laps with Minimum Interval Duration (MID).
- Set a Priority for the Device. This is useful for Timing Points with a primary Controller and a backup Controller. Setting the Priority tells the CT Live software which Device to look at first for valid tag reads. If no valid read was recorded on the Priority 1 Device, it will move on to Priority 2, etc.
- If desired, set a Serial Number(s) for the Controllers whose data will be streamed to the Timing Device. This is not required, and is intended for organizational purposes.
- Finally, you may define a time Offset for the Device. This is useful if the time on the Controller did not match the time of day. In order to keep reads from being invalidated for time reasons, defining a time Offset tells the software to adjust all reads streamed to the Device by the specified time.
- Click Complete & Save.
- You may check the Create Another check box to create another Timing Device without closing the Create a Timing Device window once you have saved the current Device.
Once you have finalized the Device creation process the Device(s) will appear on the Course Timeline below the assigned Point(s) like so:
Edit a Device
Clicking the Device bubble once will display the Device Type, Priority, and Offset (if any).
Clicking the Device bubble again will open the Edit [Device Name] Timing Device window. You may also edit the Device by clicking the arrow next to the + Timing Device button.
This window is exactly like the Create a Timing Device window, but with three key differences:
- You may not change the Type. You must delete the Device and create a new one in order to change the Type.
- There is now a Recalculate Results check box. Checking this box and then clicking Complete & Save will force the CT Live software to recalculate results from tag reads streamed to that Timing Device. This is useful for when changes have been made to aspects of the Event that affect Scoring, Brackets, Awards, and others after scoring has taken place.
(Example: After the race has been scored, the race director decides that a particular bracket should be split in two. After redefining the bracket rules, you would need to re-score the event for the changes to be reflected in Results)
- There is now a red Remove button. As stated earlier, removing a Timing Device will delete any Tag Data associated with that Timing Device. Removal of a Timing Device and its associated Timing Data is permanent.
Remove a Timing Device
- In the Edit [Device Name] Timing Device window, click the Remove button
Auto-Score must be turned OFF before a Timing Device may be removed.
- A dialogue will be displayed with the warning shown below:
Please note that no further data may be streamed to your Event until Auto-Score is re-enabled.
- Acknowledge the Warning by clicking Complete & Save.
- The page will refresh and the Timing Device will no longer be displayed on the Course Timeline.
Deleting a Timing Device will remove all tag reads that were streamed to it.
Once you've set up all your Timing Devices, remember to create any necessary Intervals.