If you'd like to see a video tutorial of this process, click HERE.
Creating an event in CT Live is a simple and intuitive process, but there are some parts that may require a bit of explanation. This section will walk you through each step of Event Creation, explain some of the more abstract concepts, and offer tips on the process. To Create a New Event click +New Event from the My Events page. This will launch the Create Event window.
Event Organizer (Step 1)
The first step of the Event creation process is selecting an Event Organizer to which to assign the event, or entering a new Event Organizer’s information.
Select an Event Organizer, and the rest of the information for that organizer will auto-populate. If necessary, enter any additional information, then click Continue.
You can also choose to create a new Event Organizer if the desired Organizer is not yet entered in the system.
You can only add a new Event Organizer if you have Event Director Access. If you have only Timer Role access, it is important to remember that you must be granted access to Organizations’ events by ChronoTrack Staff or a User within that Organization with ‘Can Admin Users’ role permissions.
To Add a New Event Organizer:
Select the Create New option from the dropdown, and then fill in the appropriate information.
The asterisked items below are required.
- Org Name* – the full, formal name of the organization. (Example: The Heart Foundation)
- Org Email* – the e-mail by which Athletes and Support Staff would contact the organization.
- Org Phone* – the phone number by which to contact the organization.
- Org URL – the organization’s website address.
- Org Location – the organization’s office location.
- Country* – the country where the organization is based.
- Postal Code* – the postal code for the organization’s location.
- State – the state where the organization is based. (If a US postal code is provided, this will auto-fill)
- City – the city where the organization is based. (If a US postal code is provided, this will auto-fill)
- Time Zone – the time zone of the Organization’s office location.
When finished, click Continue.
Upon completion of the entire Event Creation form, a new Organizer entry will be saved to the system and can thereafter be selected from the dropdown for any future events.
Payments (Step 2)
The Payments section is where you specify how and where ChronoTrack should send weekly checks from Registration revenue. You can select from a list of Payees you have entered in the past for the selected Organizer. If you're creating a new Organizer, you will need to add a new Payee.
You can specify:
- Check Payable – who checks are to be made out to.
- Payee – who checks should be sent to.
- Payee Location Information – specify that the mailing address for payments is the same as the Organizer address. You can click the Copy Organizer Location link to auto-fill the address portion.
ChronoTrack Registration has a variety of options that you must contact a Sales representative to discuss such as international currencies and ACH payments. For more information, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call (812) 423-7800 x7008.
When finished with your changes, click Continue.
Specify a Timer (Step 3)
On this page, you can select the Timer for the event or create a new Timer if necessary.
STOP! If you are a Race Organizer working with a Timer you have not worked with in the past, do NOT add a new Timer on this step. Instead deselect the "Add a Timer" check box and complete the event creation process, then contact ChronoTrack support at email@example.com to have the Timer added to your event.
Required fields include:
Timer Name, Timer Email, Timer Phone, Country, Postal Cod, State, City, and Time Zone.
Basic Properties (Step 4)
The Basic Properties step is where your event begins to take shape. From here, you will specify the Event’s official name, and start and end times.
The entries on this page consist of:
- Official Name – the name by which you would like your event to be known.
- Informal Name – a shorter, more informal event “nickname”.
- Timing Protocol – you may select between ChronoTrack, Ipico, Mylaps, or Winning Time This feature is applicable if you are intending to use CT Live only for registration.
- Start Time – the start date and time at which the event will officially start.
- End Time – the end date and time at which the event will officially end.
- Date Format - the format of the dates as displayed on the Event Dashboard, registration form, results page, and anywhere else dates are displayed in CT Live's internal and external pages for the event.
If you change the Event's Date Format after creating the event, you will need to then separately change the date format of any Date type Custom Questions you had made before you changed the date.
For Start and End Dates, you can manually type in dates in MM/DD/YYYY format, or click the calendar icon to the right of the date entry field and click on the desired date.
When you have entered all necessary information, click Continue.
Event Location (Step 5)
In this step, specify the location of your event, including a name (Example: Central Park) and the address at which the event will take place.
Event Landing Page (Step 6)
On this step, CT Live will automatically search the Athlinks database for Master Events that match the Official Name you entered in Step 4. This is an excellent way to streamline the process of linking yearly events to a corresponding Athlinks Master event. When you select a corresponding Master event in this step, CT Live and Athlinks will automatically create a new Event under that Master AND automatically link any Races you add to your CT Live event after the event is created. This in turn will allow you to publish your results to Athlinks once they have been generated. Additionally, this will help to get your Event's Landing Page up and running and populated with the Event Excerpt you'll add in step 8.
For new Events or events that do not recur yearly, you can still use the "I do not see existing events that should be linked" bubble to have CT Live automatically create an Athlinks event AND master event.
Select the Athlinks Master event that matches your CT Live Event, then click Continue. Or, if the Event doesn't exist in Athlinks, select the "I do not see..." option and click Continue.
ChronoTrack Live Services (Step 7)
In this step, you will specify the CT Live Services you will be employing for the event, the number of expected entries, and the previous year’s corresponding event (if applicable).
Specifying a number of Expected Entries does not limit the number of athletes who may participate in the event.
The CT Live Services You May Employ Are:
- Online Registration – give athletes the ability to register for your event via a computer or mobile device.
- On-Site Registration – enables race day on-site registration options.
- Timing – enables timing functionality.
- Athlete Updates – enables athlete update options on registration forms.
- Photography – enables the use of event photos and adds the Photos tab to online results.
- Video – enables the use of event videos and adds the Video tab to online results.
- Race Change - enables you to set up Race Change and Deferral fees for athletes switching between races within your event, or deferring their registration to another event. (For more on this, click HERE)
- Groups - groups should not be confused with teams. Teams are a method of scoring a number of people together whereas groups relate only to registration. Groups allow you to associate individuals from different running clubs, families, etc without placing them on a team. In the future, we will have group pricing options
- Custom Reg Forms - allows you to generate and publish multiple different Registration Forms with unique graphics, Custom Questions, and pricing. See a full guide HERE.
- Lottery - enables you to register athletes for free and then select "Winners" who will then be charged the full price of registration. See a full guide HERE.
When you have finished entering information, click Continue.
Event Resources (Step 8)
The Event Resources step allows you to specify an Event Site URL, an event Facebook Page, and an Event Excerpt for your event. Event Site URL and Event Excerpt are required to proceed.
The Event Excerpt is used as an overall description of your event, and it is also used in populating your Event Landing Page's description field. If you intend to use our Event Landing Page for your event, please be as thorough as you can in providing brief but thorough general information about your event. This is a great place to tell your event's story!
When you have entered all necessary information, click Complete & Save.
Upon completion of the Event Creation form, you will be directed to the Event Page, and the Create Race window will automatically appear, prompting you to create a race for the event. Once you have created a race, you will be able to view and edit the various aspects of the Event.