This guide will show the necessary steps for using a mobile Router to connect a Pro Series controller to the ChronoTrack CCS Server. This process uses a mobile Router and a USB modem from a cellular carrier. Please note that mobile routers need to be configured to work with a ChronoTrack controller. There are a variety of router brands and models that we have tested and provided Configuration files for HERE.
Since a Pro controller has a built in cellular modem, this method for connecting a Pro to the server should be used as a fall-back in case your built-in modem goes bad or you are attempting to use a non-GSM carrier such as Verizon or Sprint.
This guide assumes that your Router device has been configured using the relevant configuration file. If you have not configured your Router using these settings, please do so prior to following the below guide. If there is not a Configuration File for your Router model on the Timer Portal, please contact ChronoTrack Support for details on configuration.
The example images below show the CradlePoint CTR-35 router which has been discontinued by CradlePoint. Please follow the link above for current models.
Setting Up the Router
- Supply power to the Router. Usually, the Controller can provide enough power to the device through one of the Controller's built-in USB ports. For larger Routers, you may need a 'Y-cable' (included with some routers) or a 5v-12v conversion cable, available for purchase from ChronoTrack (for CradlePoint models only).
- Use an Ethernet cable to connect your Router to either of the Ethernet ports on your Controller.
- Insert your compatible Cellular USB modem into the USB slot on the Router.
- Turn on the Controller, and wait for it to load.
- Ensure that the Router is receiving power. Normally, the Router must complete its boot-up sequence, and then the USB Modem will also need to complete a boot-up sequence. Be patient as the components boot up.
Establishing the Connection
- From the main screen in BoxScore, navigate to the Configure > Network
- Ensure that the Cellular connection is selected and that the Server address is set to 126.96.36.199.
- Press the Adapters button followed by the LAN button and ensure that the Gateway is set to 172.20.23.1.
If you intend to connect your Controller to a PC using CCS Lite, the Gateway field will need to be cleared (Undefined) before you can do so.
- Press the house icon in the top left corner of the screen to navigate back to the main BoxScore screen.
- Press the Server Connection button followed by the Connect button to attempt to establish the connection.
- Upon successfully connecting to the ChronoTrack server, the Server Configuration view will indicate whether your Controller is Connected.
The main display will also show a green check next to the Server Configuration hot button indicating it is connected to the server.
If you are experiencing difficulty obtaining a connection, you may be able to resolve your problems by checking the following:
- Determine that power is supplied to the Router (the power light should be illuminated).
- Determine that the network cable is properly connected to the Controller and the Router (the ETH 1/ETH 2 link light on the Controller's ethernet port and the WAN/LAN light on the Router should be illuminated).
a. If the light is off, attempt to connect using a different cable.
b. If a second Ethernet cable does not resolve the issue, the LAN port on the Router may be bad.
- Determine that your Cellular USB Modem is connected and compatible (the USB light on the CradlePoint will be illuminated). If it is not:
a. Your USB modem may not be compatible. Visit Router manufacturer's website to check the compatibility of your modem model.
b. If your modem is compatible, attempt to re-seat the device into the Router by unplugging the modem and then plugging it back in.
If that does not resolve the issue, the USB port on the Router may be bad.
- If you are still experiencing connection issues, feel free to contact ChronoTrack Support.