If you're using CT Live in a country other than the US, you may find yourself wanting to import athlete names and other information in non-English characters. As you may have already noticed, .csv and .txt files edited in Excel do not preserve international characters, but there is a way to ensure that the characters are preserved and imported into CT Live.
Open, Copy, Paste, Save
Odds are your athlete file will come to you in a simple Excel format. In order to save the file in a way that will preserve the international characters, follow the procedure below.
- Open the excel file in Excel
- Highlight all the cells in the file and copy them (Ctrl+C or right click and select 'Copy')
- Open Notepad and paste the copied cells (Ctrl+V or right click and select 'Paste'). The format may look peculiar, but don't worry about it.
- Now click File > Save As... and enter a name for the file. Now, click the Encoding dropdown and select UTF-8. This type of encoding will ensure that the international text is preserved.
- Now import the data into CT Live as you normally would, making sure to select Tab as the delimiter since the file is being saved as a .txt file.