This guide will walk you through the process of configuring your TP-Link MR3040 router to supply internet to a MiniTrack or Pro Controller with a USB cellular modem.
Before you commit to using this router model, make sure you purchase a USB modem model that is compatible with this router, and also make sure that the Modem has an active SIM card inserted. Click HERE for TP-Link's compatibility list for the MR3040.
Load the Configuration File
- Download the 3040-CT-Config file from the Downloads section at the end of this article.
- Set the switch on the side of the router to 3G/4G
- Supply power to the TP Link using the included USB cable.
- Connect the TP Link to your computer with the included Ethernet cable.
- Open a web browser and enter 192.168.0.254 in the address bar.
Please note that you may need to set your Ethernet adapter's IP address to the router's IP scheme in order to access the admin interface. Example: 192.168.0.7
- You will be prompted to enter a username and password. Both are admin.
- You should see the TP Link configuration page. If not, ensure the Ethernet cable is firmly inserted into both the router and the computer. Also, ensure that your computer’s Ethernet adapter does not have a static IP that's outside the range the TP-Link uses.
- Click System Tools > Backup & Restore.
- Click the Choose File button and locate the TPLINK-Main.bin file you downloaded earlier. Select it, and then click Restore.
- You will see a progress bar that will fill very quickly, followed by a success message. The Router will then reboot.
- When the Reboot process finishes, your TP-Link should ready to use.
In most cases, when you plug in your USB modem, the TP-Link should automatically update with the correct Country and Carrier information. If you are having trouble connecting, you should log back into the router and verify that the Country and Carrier were correctly set by the modem. This can be done under the 'Network' menu.
To test configuration, insert a USB modem into the router, plug the router into a controller using the USB cable, and then connect the router to the controller with the Ethernet cable. Wait for both the router’s and the modem’s boot sequences to complete. This can take a couple minutes, depending on the modem you are using.
Finally, attempt to establish a connection on your controller, first ensuring that the Server address is set to 22.214.171.124.
If you need to log into the Router at a later time, the login Username and Password can be found on the Router Password Cheat Sheet in the Downloads section of the Timer Portal under Networking Accessories.
The SSID name and password are also found on the Cheat Sheet.