Learn This First:
Creating an event in CT Live is a simple and intuitive process, but there are some parts that may require a bit of explanation. This section will walk you through each step of Event Creation, explain some of the more abstract concepts, and offer tips on the process.
PLEASE NOTE: In order to create an event in CT Live 2.0 you must select from an existing Organization. If you need to create a new Organization, please reference the instructions below:
You can only add a new Event Organizer if you have Event Director Access to another Event. If you have only Timer Role access, it is important to remember that you must be granted access to Organizations’ events by ChronoTrack Staff or a User within that Organization with ‘Can Admin Users’ role permissions.
To Add a New Event Organizer:
Select the Create New option from the dropdown, and then fill in the appropriate information.
The asterisked items below are required.
- Org Name* – the full, formal name of the organization. (Example: The Heart Foundation)
- Org Email* – the e-mail by which Athletes and Support Staff would contact the organization.
- Org Phone* – the phone number by which to contact the organization.
- Org URL – the organization’s website address.
- Org Location – the organization’s office location.
- Country* – the country where the organization is based.
- Postal Code* – the postal code for the organization’s location.
- State – the state where the organization is based. (If a US postal code is provided, this will auto-fill)
- City – the city where the organization is based. (If a US postal code is provided, this will auto-fill)
- Additional Org Info - optional field that's useful for citing certain applicable VAT/tax information
- Time Zone – the time zone of the Organization’s office location.
When finished, click Continue.
Upon completion of the entire Event Creation form, a new Organizer entry will be saved to the system and can thereafter be selected from the dropdown for any future events.
To Create a New Event click +ADD EVENT from the My Events page. This will launch the Create Event window.
Event Organizer (Step 1)
The first step of the Event creation process is selecting an Event Organizer to which to assign the event, or entering a new Event Organizer’s information.
Select an Event Organizer, and the rest of the information for that organizer will auto-populate. If necessary, enter any additional information, then click Continue. (If you are creating a Test event select the "Is Test Event" checkbox.)
Event Information (Step 2)
The Event Informatioon step is where your event begins to take shape. From here, you will specify the Event’s official name, and start and end times, among other details.
The entries on this page consist of:
- Official Name – the name by which you would like your event to be known.
- Informal Name – a shorter, more informal event “nickname”.
- Timing Protocol – you may select between ChronoTrack, Ipico, Mylaps, or Winning Time This feature is applicable if you are intending to use CT Live only for registration.
- Start Time – the start date and time at which the event will officially start.
- End Time – the end date and time at which the event will officially end.
- Date Format - the format of the dates as displayed on the Event Dashboard, registration form, results page, and anywhere else dates are displayed in CT Live's internal and external pages for the event.
- Event Website: this is a required field
- Event Excerpt: The Event Excerpt is used as an overall description of your event, and it is also used in populating your Event Landing Page's description field. If you intend to use our Event Landing Page for your event, please be as thorough as you can in providing brief but thorough general information about your event. This event exerpt will also be displayed to participants in their Confirmation Email.
- Location Name
- Country, Postal Code, State/Region, City, Zip
- Time Zone
When you have entered all necessary information, click Continue.
On this page, you can select the Timer for the event. If you don't already have access to select a Timer Organization in CT Live, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to learn how.
Find a Timer (Step 3)
On this page, you can select the Timer for the event. In the dropdown menu, you will only be shown Timers associated with your Organization. If you don't already have access to select a Timer Organization in CT Live, please contact email@example.com to learn how. If your event has a separate timer outside of the ChronoTrack Timer Organization, select "Event has Timer".
When you have entered all necessary information, click Continue.
Event Landing Page (Step 4)
On this step, CT Live will automatically search the Athlinks database for Master Events that match the Official Name you entered in Step 4. This is an excellent way to streamline the process of linking yearly events to a corresponding Athlinks Master event. When you select a corresponding Master event in this step, CT Live and Athlinks will automatically create a new Event under that Master AND automatically link any Races you add to your CT Live event after the event is created. This in turn will allow you to publish your results to Athlinks once they have been generated. Additionally, this will help to get your Event's Landing Page up and running and populated with the Event Excerpt you added in Step 2.
For new Events or events that do not recur yearly, you can still use the "I do not see existing events that should be linked" bubble to have CT Live automatically create an Athlinks event AND master event.
Select the Athlinks Master event that matches your CT Live Event, then click Continue.
Or, if the Event doesn't exist in Athlinks, select the "I do not see..." option and click Continue.
ChronoTrack Live Services (Step 5)
In this step, you will specify the CT Live Services you will be employing for the event.
The CT Live Services You May Employ Are:
- Online Registration – give athletes the ability to register for your event via a computer or mobile device.
- On-Site Registration – enables race day on-site registration options.
- Timing – enables timing functionality.
- Athlete Updates – enables athlete update options on registration forms.
- Photography – enables the use of event photos and adds the Photos tab to online results.
- Video – enables the use of event videos and adds the Video tab to online results.
- Race Change - enables you to set up Race Change and Deferral fees for athletes switching between races within your event, or deferring their registration to another event. (For more on this, click HERE)
- Groups - groups should not be confused with teams. Teams are a method of scoring a number of people together whereas groups relate only to registration. Groups allow you to associate individuals from different running clubs, families, etc without placing them on a team. In the future, we will have group pricing options as well.
- Custom Reg Forms - This allows you to generate and publish multiple different Registration Forms with unique graphics, Custom Questions, and pricing. See a full guide HERE.
- Custom Fees - allows you to add additional fees to each registration. Not available for VAT countries. For a look at how to use Custom Fees, click HERE.
When you have entered all necessary information, click Complete and Save.
Upon completion of the Event Creation form, you will be directed to the Event Page, and the Create Race window will automatically appear, prompting you to create a race for the event. Once you have created a race, you will be able to view and edit the various aspects of the Event.